Sunday, May 28, 2006

What is church about anyway?

I have been thinking about this question for years now. What is church about anyway? Before I actually started studying my Bible, it was a place to get my "weekly fill". It was all about church being my sanctuary, which Webster defines as a place of refuge and protection. Webster also defines sanctuary as a place (as a church or a temple) for worship. Well, both definitions are correct, but once you get into Scripture to see what God had in mind about the Church, you'll see it is more than just about the refuge and protection of a place for worship.

Through the years I have heard such things as: “well, they’re doing such and such in My church”; “I can’t believe we’re not doing that in My church”; “I like red carpet and not blue in My church”. It’s taken me awhile to figure this out, but, it is not My church. It is God’s!

Jesus said this about the building of His Church in (Mat 16:18) "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it. In Matthew Henry’s Commentary he states that “The church is Christ's peculiar, appropriated to him. The world is God's, and they that dwell therein; but the church is a chosen remnant, that stands in relation to God through Christ as Mediator.”

Church is not about a place, it’s about His chosen people.

1 comment:

Dave Scarbrough said...

Great post! I wish more people had a better understanding of what the church really is.